Indoor Gardening Update – Window Setup Complete
Yay, after some prototypes and refinement, I’ve settled on an indoor growing setup. I can’t have plants in a conventional way because of the cat and me not watering them. So by encapsulating the dirt with a 2 liter bottle and adding electricity to keep my interest, I may just be able to keep something alive.
During an unexpected trip to the hydro store this week, I picked up a water pump as the final component and set out to finish. Since nothing but weeds were growing from the original setup, I dumped everything from the containers and started fresh with what I learned. Which was:
- Gravel is needed for drainage.
- NO top soil.
- The black rubber seals break down quickly when exposed to light.
- Leak test each container before filling with dirt.
- If chemicals are used in the water, the reservoir needs a lid (caught the cat drinking from it).
To irrigate the plants, I sampled what the local home center had to offered. The adjustable drip fittings worked best along with a nine way manifold. The rest is tubing and fittings from the hardware store.