CNC Machine Update – New Bearing Brackets
Yay, seems like progress was made on my CNC machine today. The whole project had been halted due to the machine not being able to travel the entire length of either the X or Y axises. After loosening the bearing adjustments it could, but would be really sloppy at the opposite side. The problem was the bearing brackets I made poorly. So, I had to partially disassemble to replace the X & Y brackets (I haven’t assembled the Z axis yet).
When I remade the brackets, I used templates drawn in CAD and glued on using rubber cement. By gently scoring the center line with a razor and straight edge, the template folded and located on the edge of the aluminum angle. This eliminated much of the error I made last time layout my parts. Then I punched the centers of the four side holes, center drilled and drilled to size.
The flat on the angles were made the same as last, with an end mill in the drill press and stops bolted to the table on both sides. Probably not the intended use, and probably screwed the spindle up a bit, but oh well. The holes in the flat were done the same as others, punched, center drilled and drilled to size. Finally each bracket was thoroughly deburred with a stone, and voila.